How do you refill the coolant in a BMW?
My BMW needs some more coolant, and I usually have this done at the mechanic when I get my car serviced, but there doesn’t seem to be anything else going on with my car. I don’t want to take the car in just to get more coolant. Is there a way I can top off the coolant myself?
Answer provided by
- A new bottle of coolant based on your manual’s specifications
- A funnel
- A pair of gloves
- Open your hood and locate the coolant tank. Do not touch anything under the hood if you just turned your car off and it is hot.
- Turn the cap counterclockwise while pressing downward.
- Once the cap is open, you should see a brightly colored stick or level float. Somewhere on the coolant tank will be a diagram indicating the level float’s position if the tank is properly filled.
- Place the funnel in the tank but leave space to see the level float.
- Start pouring in your coolant until the float reaches the proper height as indicated by the diagram.
- Remove the funnel carefully and replace the cap.