How to Get Car Insurance Before Buying a Car
- Do I need insurance?
- Getting insurance without a car
- Driving without insurance
- When should I get insurance?
- Same-day insurance
- Proof of insurance
Getting car insurance before buying a car is as easy as picking out your vehicle, contacting an insurance provider (or three) for a quote, and paying for your new policy.
Even though you’re in a hurry to buy a new vehicle, a spur-of-the-moment purchase may not be in your best interest. Your new vehicle will need insurance coverage before you leave the lot.
Getting car insurance before buying a car requires planning and specific information—but it can be done!
With some easy planning and quick comparison shopping from an app like Jerry, you can get your vehicle covered before purchasing a car.
Do I need car insurance before I buy a car?
Yes, you’ll need insurance to take home your new vehicle. The good news is that you can shop around for car insurance before you make your purchase—even if you don’t have your new car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) yet.
If you do know the specific vehicle you want, ask for the VIN number to submit to your insurance provider.
Key Takeaway Yes, you need car insurance before you drive your new vehicle off the lot.
How do you get car insurance without a car?
1. Pick out your vehicle. Broad information won’t help you here. You’ll need specific information about your intended vehicle if you want to purchase an insurance policy.
2. Confirm your intent to buy the car. You can make a verbal or written agreement with the dealership. This step isn’t mandatory, but it can save you time and energy to know the details before purchasing an insurance policy.
3. Get the vehicle information for insurance. This includes the vehicle identification number (VIN), current mileage, make, model, and a vehicle history report.
4. Get your quotes from Jerry. This free app collects quotes from up to 45 top insurance companies and provides you with three competitive options in under a minute!
5. Submit your information (it only takes 45 seconds). Accurate information is a must! Any inaccuracies could result in your policy being terminated.
6. Complete payment for your car insurance policy. Once your information is submitted, the final step is to pay for your policy. Then, you’re all covered and ready to go.
Key Takeaway Once you’ve picked out your car, provide your insurance broker with the vehicle’s specs and let them take care of the rest.
Can you drive your new car without insurance if you just bought it?
You can’t drive your new car home until you have insurance coverage to protect both you and your vehicle.
Almost all states have requirements as to the minimum amount of car insurance you need. If you’re caught without insurance, you could be fined or have your license suspended.
And if you get into an accident with car insurance, the legal penalties will be more severe—even if you just purchased your car ten minutes ago.
Driving without coverage also signals to insurance companies that you had a lapse in coverage and are a higher risk for them to insure. They might even raise your premium.
Your safest bet is to do the work beforehand to protect yourself and your new car from penalties and fines. And since Jerry makes it so easy, there’s really no reason not to!
Jerry is your ultra-talented car insurance broker for life. No need to sit across from him at a desk—Jerry is an app! It takes less than a minute to sign up and you’ll be presented with competitive rates from up to 45 top providers. Don’t lose coverage—find savings with Jerry.
How soon after buying your car do you need insurance?
You should have car insurance before driving off the lot. That said, there are different rules if you have an existing insurance policy.
Your active car insurance policy may have a grace period that will extend coverage to your new vehicle before you’ve officially added it to your policy.
But this period doesn’t last forever. Most grace periods are only in effect for a week to 30 days, so make sure you contact your insurance provider as soon as possible.
There may also be limitations on this grace period. It might only cover replacement vehicles and not add-ons. The temporary coverage might not include comprehensive and collision coverage, depending on your policy.
Make sure you check the terms of your existing policy before driving home in your new vehicle.
Can I get same-day insurance?
Yes—getting car insurance isn’t as complicated as it seems. In fact, it can usually be done in 24 hours! Still, it’s a good idea to shop around for car insurance and compare rates before settling on a company.
To make the process as easy as possible:
- Put together basic information, such as the driver’s license number and birthday for every driver who will be using the car
- Have a good idea of what type of coverage you’ll need
- Research insurance companies, including reviews and ratings, to make sure you’re picking the right company for you
Jerry can provide you with competitive quotes from multiple insurers in under a minute. Swapping is just as effortless. Jerry takes care of all the paperwork, phone, calls, and even cancels your old policy on your behalf—oh, and it’s free!
Do dealerships require proof of insurance?
Dealerships will typically request proof of insurance before purchasing a new car.
Your insurance company can email or fax the information to the dealership, or you can provide them with your insurance card. If you take out a loan to finance your car, the bank will also want to see proof of insurance.
The dealership might also require specific types of coverage, such as collision and comprehensive insurance.
If you’re looking to purchase car insurance before buying a vehicle, the Jerry app is a good place to start.
As a licensed broker, Jerry does all the hard work of finding the cheapest quotes from the top name-brand insurance companies and finalizing your new car insurance. Jerry will even cancel your old policy for you.
And to ensure you always have the lowest rate, Jerry will send you new quotes every time your policy comes up for renewal—so you’re always getting the coverage you want at the best price.
“Fantastic experience! The thought of shopping for car insurance is always daunting. I was able to get a new policy with almost exactly the same coverages at less than half the price we were paying. It was fast and easy!”— Satisfied Jerry User
Haven’t shopped for insurance in the last six months? There might be hundreds $$$ in savings waiting for you.
Judith switched to Progressive
Saved $725 annually
Alexander switched to Travelers
Saved $834 annually
Annie switched to Nationwide
Saved $668 annually
Check if you are overpaying for car insurance.
No phone calls. No long forms. Quotes from 45 insurance companies.