Will uninsured motorist property damage coverage pay for what I owe on my car loan in Georgia?

I was involved in an accident with an uninsured driver. The insurance said the car is totaled, but I still have a loan on the car. I have UMPD coverage in GA. How does this work?

“Your UMPD insurance coverage will pay out the actual cash value of the vehicle, less your deductible. If this is more than what you owe on the car loan, the insurance company will generally issue a payment to the lienholder and then issue a payment to you for the remaining money.
If the value of the car is less than what is owed, the insurance company will pay the lienholder up to the value of the vehicle and you will be responsible for the difference.
If you purchased gap insurance when you bought the car, then it will cover this difference. Talk to your lienholder about what options you might have.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 13, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free