Will standard renters insurance cover additional living expenses due to flooding?

"My apartment's been severely flooded and it's uninhabitable for now. I have a standard renters policy that doesn't cover flood damage, but what about additional living expenses that are the result of flood damage? Will my policy cover my hotel and food bills now that I've been displaced?


Apr 14, 2021
Answer provided by
Jackie Whalen
Answered at Apr 14, 2021
“Since your standard renters policy does not cover flood, you will not be able to make a claim on it for additional living expenses. Additional living expense coverage is only available if you are unable to live in your apartment due to a peril that is already covered under your policy.
Since flood is covered under a separate flood policy, the standard additional living expense coverage would not apply in this case. “
Renters Insurance

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies