Will my son's car insurance rate rise after I totaled his car?

My son and his car are on my insurance policy. I recently got into a single-vehicle accident and totaled his car. My son's insurance rate is already quite high, and I'm worried that he'll be penalized with a higher rate if I file a claim.

“In this situation, since you were driving the car at the time of the accident, the accident will be filed under your name. So, technically speaking, any future rate increases will fall on your shoulders, not your son’s.
So, for example, if your son buys his own car insurance policy within the next few years, the accident won’t impact his rate because it will be filed under your name.
If you file a claim and your son stays on your policy for a while, then yes, he’ll face a higher overall rate, but so will you. “
Carol Chung
Answered on Apr 23, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free