Will my mom and I face higher insurance rates if we file a claim after a hit-and-run?

"My mom's car got hit in a parking lot and we're looking at getting it repaired. We can afford to fix the damage ourselves, but we are wondering if we should just submit a claim through our insurance.

Does insurance cover hit-and-runs? Would our rates increase after filing a claim?"

“Depending on the coverage on your mom’s policy, you may be able to file a claim with her insurance.
For hit-and-runs, insurance companies will usually file a claim under collision car insurance. This would require that your mom pay her deductible.
If she doesn’t have full coverage, she may not be able to submit a claim. You should look over the terms and conditions of her policy. It should detail what coverage would apply if there’s a hit-an- run.
Should you decide to submit a claim with her insurance, her rates could increase. Anytime you have a claim on your record, even if it’s not at fault, it can impact your rates. If this is a concern, it may be worth paying for the damage out of pocket.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free