Will my liability insurance cover me if I caused $1,000 worth of damage to another vehicle while driving a U-Haul?

I rented a U-Haul. I have liability insurance on my personal car, so I didn't get U-Haul's coverage. While moving, I hit someone's bumper on a parked car, causing $1,000 worth of damage. Can I file a claim with my personal insurance?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 28, 2021
“In all likelihood, you’re probably not even covered by your own liability insurance. Liability coverage can carry over to rental cars, but usually not to trucks of that size.
Your best bet is to call your insurance company and ask if your policy covers a U-Haul. Don’t tell them that you were in an accident. Merely ask questions as if you were going to rent a U-Haul.
If you’re not covered, there’s no sense in telling them you were in an accident because they won’t pay for it anyway.
If you find out you are covered, then you’ll have to decide whether to file a claim or pay the $1,000 out of pocket. If you file a claim, your insurance premium will rise.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies