Will my homeowners policy cover the damage a tree branch caused to my cousin's Jeep?

Will my homeowners insurance cover the repairs to his vehicle? There was a huge storm last week while my cousin was in town. He had his Jeep parked in the driveway and when my maple tree blew down, it completely smashed his Jeep!

“That depends.
If your cousin has comprehensive coverage on his Heep, then it is best to have him file the claim with his insurance carrier. The odds are that he has a low deductible and this will be listed as a not-at-fault type of claim.
If he does not have comprehensive coverage on his auto policy, then you can submit the claim through your homeowner’s policy.
Your insurance carrier may make the payout under the liability portion of your policy. However, keep in mind that your homeowners deductible may be around $1000, if not more, and it would count as a claim on your policy.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on Jul 26, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free