"Will my home insurance provide workers' compensation to independent contractors? "

I have a contractor over at my place almost daily because of some major renovations. I also have a nanny over a few days a week to look after my son. Will my home policy offer them workers' comp is something happens to them?

Answer provided by
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Apr 05, 2021
“The answer is, it depends. States have many different guidelines and laws pertaining to workers’ compensation. Many home policies will automatically include some coverage for workers’ compensation if the person is considered a domestic worker or works more than 40 hours a week at your house.
If a contractor is injured on your property, they could sue you. Your home policy’s liability coverage and medical payments coverage would help to cover the costs. Home policies typically carry $300,000 in liability and that may not be enough depending on the severity of the injuries, so you may want to look into buying an umbrella policy to increase your liability limits. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies