Will my home insurance cover items stolen out of my daughter's car?

"While my adult daughter was away for two weeks for work, a thief broke into her car (which was parked in my driveway) and stole high-value items worth more than $1,000. Will my home insurance cover these items since my daughter lives in my house?


“If someone is living in your home and they are a relative, you would typically have some home insurance coverage extend to them. In a case like this, you would want to look into your policy to make sure you have coverage for the items that were stolen.
However, a better way to cover your daughter’s belongings and to ensure she has the best coverage would be for her to get her own renters insurance policy. If a person lives in a home and they do not own it, they are considered to be a renter. If she had her own renters insurance, there would be no question as to whether she has coverage for her belongings. “
Savannah Grabek
Answered on Apr 07, 2021
Savannah Grabek is an expert in Personal Lines insurance. She has 5 years experience in the insurance industry. Savannah began her carrier working with just property insurance and is now tenured in all personal line including home, auto, motorcycle, boat and umbrella. She previously worked for GEICO and has now been working with Jerry insurance for the past year. Savannah lives in New York with her son, fiancé, and puppy Bear. In her free time she enjoys spending quality time with her family and hiking with her dog.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.