Will home insurance cover my takeout costs since I can't use my kitchen?

"I know my insurance will cover damage due to a burst pipe in my kitchen. But will it also pay for all the takeout I have to order, since there's no running water and the sink and dishwasher are no longer working?


Answer provided by
Alexah Grinnell
Answered on Apr 05, 2021
“If your kitchen is unusable due to a covered loss, and if you are incurring extra expenses for food while the repairs are being made, these expenses would fall under your loss of use coverage up to the specified amount you are covered for. Loss of use will cover you for any additional costs you may incur for housing and living expenses (such as food) while you’re in the midst of the covered loss. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies