Will AAA cover a single-car accident?

"If I was the only car involved, will AAA consider this an accident and cover the damage? Last night I was driving home in a really bad thunderstorm. I was turning into what I thought was my driveway, but it was really the neighbors and I ruined their rose bushes and smashed into their gazebo. My car had hydroplaned as I was turning in and I lost all control."

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on Jul 06, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.
“Hydroplaning can be very scary, I hope that you are doing OK!
Yes, single-car accidents are still accidents and are covered by insurance carriers.
AAA would cover the rose bushes and gazebo up to the limits of your property damage coverage.
If you carry collision coverage, any damage done to your vehicle would be covered, minus your deductible.
Keep in mind that while insurance carriers do want all accidents reported, a single-car accident is still considered an at-fault accident.
Once this claim is filed, there is a chance you will see an increase in your premium.
If you have a good relationship with your neighbor, see if they can get an estimate of the damage before you report the claim. If you can pay for the damage to their property and your car out of pocket, you can avoid having to file a claim.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies