Will a non owners policy be the right insurance for a car that I am borrowing?

I am from Connecticut and will be living in Alaska for just the summer this year. My aunt will let me borrow her truck so I have a vehicle to get around in. It is covered on her policy, but she wants me to get a non-owner policy so that I am insured. How do I get it and for what state?

“Your aunt wants you to have insurance so that your policy will bear the financial responsibility if you are involved in an accident.
Insurance follows the vehicle, so the coverage your aunt currently has now would pay out in the event of an accident first. The non owners car insurance would pay out any overages after limits are reached.
Also, a standard non owners policy does not have comprehensive insurance or collision insurance. You would need to purchase that coverage separately.
You can purchase a non owners policy by getting car insurance quotes online, and it can be bought for Alaska since that is the state you will be driving in.
In this case, the best option would be for your aunt to list you as an active driver on her policy. This way all the coverage the car has will automatically extend to you. Since she owns the vehicle, any legal responsibility would fall to her, whether you get an additional policy or not. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 29, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store