Why won't my building manager cover damage to my car?

"My building was being painted and paint dripped onto my financed car. The building manager said they would pay for the damages. I got an estimate and now they don't want to pay.

What should I do?"

“There are a few things you can do in this situation. If the building manager doesn’t agree to the cost of removing the paint, you can try to negotiate a settlement.
If you aren’t able to settle, you can try to find out the name of the contractors they hired. Most businesses are required to carry liability insurance. The painting company may be able to cover the damage to your vehicle.
Another option is your own insurance. Since your vehicle is financed, you likely have comprehensive insurance and collision insurance. You can submit a claim under your comprehensive insurance, which would cover the cost of removing the paint minus your deductible.
If you explain the situation to your insurance, they may try to seek reimbursement from the responsible party. This means you may get your deductible back as well.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jun 23, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free