Why can't I add collision coverage and uninsured motorist property damage to my policy?

My insurance only allows me to add one or the other. I've always had collision coverage, but is it more beneficial to have uninsured motorist property damage?

“The main difference between uninsured motorist property damage and collision coverage is the amount of coverage that’s provided.
Uninsured motorist property damage always has a set limit. Collision coverage does not have a set limit, but you are required to pay your deductible every time you file a claim.
If you’ve always carried collision coverage and can afford it, you should continue to carry it. Collision coverage offers more protection in a variety of situations, regardless of fault. However, it is more expensive.
Uninsured motorist property damage is a good option for those who can’t afford to have full coverage on their vehicle. While it won’t help when you’re at fault, it will help pay for damages caused by an uninsured driver that you’d otherwise have to pay out of pocket for. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free