Who's responsible for home insurance, the landlord or tenant?

I'm thinking of renting out my house for the next two years while I'm away for work. In this situation, who pays for the home insurance: the landlord or the tenant?

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on Mar 08, 2021
Great question! In this case, you would want to speak with your insurance agent and change the type of policy you have from a homeowners policy to a dwelling policy, also known as a landlord policy. This is important because you are not responsible for your tenant’s belongings or liability while they are renting. A dwelling policy will still protect the physical home and, depending on the type of policy you choose, it may provide coverage for loss of rent due to a covered claim. You will also want to make sure your tenant gets their own renters policy. A renters policy will protect the tenants’ liability and personal property, which are not covered under your dwelling policy.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies