Who would pay for a recycling bin that damaged my car?

"My car is currently parked because I don't have insurance. There was a big windstorm and a recycling bin from another building hit my car. The door is now dented.

Who pays for the damage?"

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jun 23, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“If your car was insured, your comprehensive insurance would normally cover a situation like this. Windstorms and damage from them are usually a covered peril in most policies.
Since you don’t have car insurance right now, you’ll likely need to reach out to the building’s owner. They may accept liability and offer to pay for the damage.
If they refuse, the only other way to try and recover damages would be through a lawsuit.
Beyond that, you’d be responsible for the cost of damages to your vehicle.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies