Who will pay for my medical bills after I was injured in a friend's car?

"I was in a car accident with my friend. I was the passenger and they were at fault.

How will my medical bills be paid? Would my health insurance need to go after my friend's car insurance, or do I need a lawyer?"

“You should first find out if your friend has medical payment coverage or personal injury protection (PIP) on their policy.
These coverages are designed specifically for policyholders and their passengers, regardless of who is at fault.
If they don’t, you can still try to file a claim with their car insurance company. Bodily injury liability doesn’t provide coverage for a driver on the policy, but it can sometimes be used to cover their passengers.
If you have your own car insurance, you can also try to file a claim with your carrier as well. Car insurance is always considered to be primary coverage after an auto accident. If you’re unable to get your medical bills covered with car insurance, you’ll need to go through your health insurance.
Your health insurance company shouldn’t need to go after your friend’s insurance, and you likely won’t need a lawyer.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free