Who pays for the damage when a car is stolen and in an accident?

A stolen car crashed into my brother's car. The driver was caught, but who is responsible for the damage?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jun 18, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
The person who stole the car is responsible for the damages. However, if they don’t have insurance or are unable to pay, your brother’s insurance may cover the damage.
If your brother has uninsured motorist coverage on his policy, this would cover any damage done to his vehicle if the other driver is uninsured. If he has collision insurance, this may also cover damage.
Without these, your brother may have to sue the other driver for the damage done to his vehicle. He should reach out to his insurance company to find out what assistance they can provide.
In some cases, they may pay for the damage up front and seek reimbursement from the responsible party. Your brother may also need to speak with a lawyer if he decides to file a suit.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies