Who is responsible for damages if you hit a horse on the road?

"A horse ran out into the road and I hit it with my car. It caused damage, so I'm wondering who is responsible for it. Do I need to find the owner?"

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 28, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“Whenever you hit an animal, you are able to file a claim with your comprehensive insurance as long as it’s on your policy.
Collisions with animals are a covered peril under most comprehensive coverage.
Since you did hit a horse and not a wild animal, you should also try to find the owner. They may not know where the animal is, since it likely escaped. If you don’t have comprehensive insurance, you may be able to settle with the owner of the horse for damages.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies