Who is responsible for damage in a school parking lot?

Should I report the damage to the school? My car was damaged at school while parked in my parking space. The side mirror is broken and the side of my car is all scratched up.

Since your vehicle was parked in an assigned space at school, you should inform the school. They may have cameras in the parking lot.
You should also file a police report and call your insurance company. The police will file an accident report and may be able to find who was responsible for the damage. If so, you can submit a claim to their insurance for the damage.
If you have collision insurance and comprehensive insurance on your policy, you can also file a claim for the damage. You will be responsible for your deductible, but you’d get the remaining cost of repairs covered.
If the school or police are able to find the responsible party, your car insurance will likely try to recover the costs of the damages. You may be reimbursed for your deductible as well.
Emily Maracle
Answered on Nov 29, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
rating primary
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free