Which form of insurance covers a camera stolen from a car?

"Someone broke into my car while it was parked in my garage (the garage door was left open) and stole my camera. Do I file a claim with my home insurance or my car insurance?


Answer provided by
Jackie Whalen
Answered on Apr 05, 2021
“The camera that was in your car is covered under your home insurance policy. If the actual car had been stolen, then you would file a claim with your auto insurance company.
Homeowners insurance covers items stolen from your car as long as the items were not permanently installed or attached in the car. For example, your home insurance will cover the theft of your camera but not a factory-installed car stereo. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies