Where do I file an insurance claim after crashing my rental car out of state?

"I crashed my rental car into a tree while driving in a different state. I had to go to the hospital and I have bills for that.

Where do I file claims for the damages and my medical bills? I have car insurance, health insurance, and some rental coverage through my credit card. "

“Whenever you are injured in an accident, your car insurance coverage is primary and your health insurance coverage is secondary.
Depending on what coverage you have on your car insurance, you may not need to go through your health insurance. If you have medical payment coverage or personal injury protection (PIP), this will help cover your medical bills.
You can then send anything your car insurance doesn’t cover to your health insurance company.
For any damage to the vehicle, you’ll need to reach out to your credit card company and car insurance company. If you have collision car insurance with either company, you may be able to submit a claim for the damage.
Without collision coverage, you may be required to pay for the damages out of pocket. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free