Where can I get cheap liability insurance for a rental car if I'm a non-US citizen?

I'm going on a trip in the US and I want to rent a car. However, the price of insurance through the rental car company is expensive. Can I get cheap liability insurance through a US insurer if I'm a non-US citizen?

“If you’re a foreigner, you’ll have a hard time buying liability coverage from a US insurer because you don’t have a US address. You’ll also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive and rent a vehicle.
If you’ve bought any travel insurance, it may already include some car insurance coverage, so be sure to check the details of your agreement.
If you don’t have any other form of auto coverage, then unfortunately your best option as a non-US citizen is to go with the insurance offered by the rental car company.”
Eric Schad
Answered on May 04, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies