Where can I find gap insurance for my new car in South Dakota?

I declined gap insurance with the dealership, but I owe at least $2,000 more than my car is worth. My current insurance company doesn't offer gap insurance and I don't really want to switch carriers. Is there anywhere that I can get gap insurance only?

“Typically, the only other option for gap insurance would be going through your lender. If they don’t offer it, you should try to reach back out to the dealership. They may be able to add gap insurance even after you initially declined it.
If you can afford to pay the $2,000 that you owe on your loan if your car is totaled, then you don’t need to worry about adding gap insurance. However, if you believe that a totaled car would cause you financial hardship, you should consider switching car insurance companies.
Travelers and LIberty Mutual are two larger carriers that offer gap insurance. It never hurts to shop around and see what your options are. You may be able to find more affordable coverage than what you have now. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 07, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free