What's the easiest way to tint car windows?
I live in California, and the sun scorches the interior of my car. I want to tint my windows to counteract this, but I don't want to pay too much. What's the easiest way to tint my car windows?
Living in California can certainly scorch the interior of your car—even causing damage—so it makes sense that you want to tint your windows.
To tint your car windows easily, buy a tinting kit from an automotive store, which will set you back about $50.
Then, follow these simple steps:
- Find a clear, dust-free workspace
- Clean each window using warm, soapy water and a razor blade
- Dry the window with a clean microfiber towel
- Get out the tinting material and determine which side is the sticky side
- Use soapy water again and spray the exterior of the window, as this will let the tinting temporarily adhere
- Put the tinting material on the window
- Measure and cut the material
- Wipe the window dry again with a microfiber towel
- Put the tinting material back on and slowly push onto the window from one side to the other making sure there are no air bubbles
- Cut off any excess
- Repeat for all four windows
If you’d prefer to get the job done professionally, expect to pay about $100 to $1,000—depending on the quality of the job.
To keep your car in pristine condition in the event of an accident or act of God, make sure to have the appropriate insurance coverage. Use the Jerry app to compare quotes from over 45 insurers and protect your most prized asset.
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
When should I not refinance a car loan?
I was thinking about refinancing my car loan, and I've read about all the benefits. But is there a time when I shouldn't refinance?
Nov 04, 2021
Do credit unions have the best car loan rates?
I've been on the ropes about financing a car, but my friend said credit unions can give you super cheap rates. Is this true?
Nov 04, 2021
How do you carry a kayak on a Ford Escape? How do you carry a kayak on a Ford Escape?
What’s the best way to strap a kayak to the roof of my Escape? I’m going to my boyfriend’s cabin for the weekend, and there’s a lake nearby that would be great for kayaking.
Nov 03, 2021