What's the difference between HO6 and HO4 insurance?

I'm moving into a condo and I want to know about the distinction between HO6 and HO4 policies.

Shannon Martin · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
The difference between having an HO4 vs. an HO6 policy comes down to ownership. If you own your condo, you will want to purchase an
HO6 policy
. This policy covers your individual unit in the same way that a standard homeowners policy covers a house. There is also coverage for your personal property and liability.
However, even with a condo policy, you will pay a separate association fee for a group policy that will cover damage to the building’s structure beyond your individual unit, the roof, and other structures on the property.
If you are a renter, then the HO4 policy is for you. It is one of the most affordable coverages you can have, and it covers your personal property and liability. It doesn’t matter what type of residence you are renting; whether it is an apartment, house, or condo, your landlord will need to have a policy for the structure. You only need to cover your belongings and liability.
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings