What’s the best route from the West Coast to the East Coast?
I live in Seattle, and I’ve got a few weeks off and would like to drive across the country. What’s the best route from the West Coast to the East Coast?
Answer provided by
Okay, adventurer! The best route from the West Coast to the East Coast is to hop on I-90 and head east toward the Atlantic. You’ll be setting out on a 45-hour drive that covers 3,024 miles.
There is a slew of attractions to see on your barnstorming tour eastward:
- Leave Seattle, Washington, heading east to cross gorgeous Lake Washington and traverse the Evergreen State before hitting Idaho
- Take in some history in Wallace, where the Battle of Little Bighorn was waged
- Continue east to stop in charming Missoula, Montana, then motor up and over the amazing Continental Divide as you whiz by Old West towns
- Barrel over South Dakota plains and stop in Vernon at Mount Rushmore to marvel at the enormous granite sculptures of four U.S. presidents
- Cruise into Minnesota’s corn belt, and enjoy the gentle terrain (but if you’re driving during the winter, this stretch is notorious for snow drifts)
- Cross the Mississippi River and head into Wisconsin, where you can stop and stretch your legs with a walk through the University of Wisconsin’s beautiful campus in Madison
- Trudge south and spend a night in Chicago, Illinois, with its stupendous architecture, delicious food, and vibrant cultural scene
- Sling around Lake Michigan and drive east toward Ohio, where you can stop to rock out at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland
- Continue up along the southern shore of Lake Erie and pass through Buffalo, New York, to enjoy this industrial city’s remarkable architecture (including Frank Lloyd Wright’s Martin House) and quirky cultural district
- Head out from Buffalo, skirt the Finger Lakes, and make a pitstop in Albany, New York’s capital, to wave hello to Governor Hochul
- Continue through Southern Massachusetts, where you’ll pass through Springfield before arriving in Boston, where you can enjoy a big bowl of clam chowder all to yourself (you deserve it!)
Protect your vehicle on your cross-country trip with a robust car insurance policy by using Jerry. The average Jerry user saves more than $800 per year on car insurance!
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
What is the Buick Encore’s interior like?
I’m thinking of getting a new car, and I like the look (and price) of the Buick Encore. I’m worried that it’s a little small though. Can you tell me what the interior of a Buick Encore is like?
May 18, 2022
How much does a Saturn Vue windshield replacement cost?
I need to replace the windshield on my Saturn Vue. I hit a rock on the highway and now there’s a big crack. Do you know how much it will cost to replace my Saturn Vue’s windshield?
May 18, 2022
What is a Chevrolet Impala’s interior like?
I’ve always looked to Chevy for their trucks (I drive one to and from work), but I’m considering their line sedans for a second car. The Impala looks pretty sleek, but I’m wondering about the inside. Can you tell me about the Chevrolet Impala interior?
May 18, 2022