What’s the best driving route from Las Vegas to Orlando?
Our dear children, ages 9, 7, and 5, have forced my wife and me to take them on a road trip from our home in Las Vegas to Disney World. I suggested Disneyland in L.A., but the kids were having none of it (especially the 5-year-old—he’s the ringleader). We’re heading out in a few days, so what’s the best driving route from Las Vegas to Orlando?
Answer provided by
- Wave goodbye to Vegas and head south on US-93 through Kingman, Arizona (the heart of historic Route 66), before heading east on I-40 through Flagstaff.
- Spend the night in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where the 5-year-old has arranged for the family to stay at Walter White’s.
- Leave ABQ driving east across sandy New Mexico and dusty West Texas before riding into Dallas, where you probably won’t have the energy (or permission) to grab a Tangarita at The Grapevine Bar.
- Ditch Dallas at the crack of dawn, heading east along I-20 to lunch in Shreveport, Louisiana, before visiting Gators and Friends (make sure the 5-year-old doesn’t turn you into lunch).
- Continue east through Jackson, Mississippi, and bed down in Mobile, Alabama, after paying a visit to the USS Alabama (how your 5-year-old already knew his way around the ship, you’ll never know).
- Leave Mobile along I-10 E, passing through Florida’s capital of Tallahassee, where your 5-year-old has somehow arranged a 1-on-1 (for himself, not you) with the governor.
- Leave Tallahassee and hit I-75 S before heading into Orlando, where Mickey and Minnie are waiting.