What would happen if my sister got into an at-fault accident with my car?

My sister lives in a different state and drives my car full-time. It's still registered to me and on my insurance. She is also insured on our dad's policy, but not with my car. I'm planning on transferring the title to her, but I'm wondering what would happen if she gets into an at-fault accident?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 21, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“While car insurance does normally follow the car and not the driver, there are a few reasons why your insurance company wouldn’t provide coverage.
First off, since your sister drives your car, she needs to be a driver on your policy.
The other issue is that your car is insured in a different state, meaning your insurance company believes it is garaged at your address. Should anything happen to your vehicle where your sister lives, your insurance company will begin investigating to figure out why the car was not in your state.
The best thing you can do is add your sister as a driver on your policy. You can then also update the garaging address to reflect her location. While this could cause a change in your premium, it’s better to have coverage than not in case of an accident. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies