What will my insurance cover if my daughter totals my car?

"I think my car is totaled, will my insurance cover it? My daughter lives with me, has her permit, and usually only drives with me. However, she did take the car without me and ended up getting into an accident."

Car insurance normally follows the vehicle and not the driver. Since your car is insured, it’s likely your insurance will cover the accident.
Most insurance companies will assume that you gave her permission to use the vehicle, even if she only has her permit.
As long as your daughter isn’t listed as excluded on your policy, you shouldn’t have an issue filing a claim. If she isn’t currently listed on your policy, now may be a good time to add her as a driver.
Since she was in an accident and she lives with you, your insurance company may even require that she be listed or excluded on the policy in the future.
If you’re worried about your rates increasing, you can also shop around. You may be able to find more affordable car insurance with another company.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies