What will my aunt be required to pay after a car accident that she caused?

"My aunt was at fault in an accident. Her vehicle was totaled and she received a payout from her insurance.

She has $100,000 in property damage coverage and the other party's damages exceed that. Is she required to pay for the additional amount over her property damage coverage?"

“If the property damage your aunt caused is exceeding her property damage liability limit, then yes, she will be required to pay anything over that.
If the other party has underinsured motorist coverage, their insurance may cover the difference. However, their insurance company may then choose to pursue your aunt for reimbursement.
Your aunt’s insurance company may be able to negotiate with the other party and settle for her property damage amount of $100,000. If they cannot, your aunt will need to pay for the remaining damages.
Often, the other party’s insurance company will allow you to set up a payment plan to pay off the difference.
If your aunt can’t or refuses to pay for the remaining damages, the other party can take legal action against her. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 20, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free