What type of insurance do I need as a first-time driver?

I'm purchasing my first vehicle and I don't know anything about car insurance. What type of insurance do I need?

“Nearly every state has a legally mandated minimum insurance requirement, so you’ll need to have at least that amount of coverage to get behind the wheel.
However, minimum state car insurance doesn’t really cover much; it just makes you a legal driver. If you have the budget to increase your liability coverage, then you should.
Liability insurance limits are often listed as three numbers, such as 25/50/25. This denotes:
  • $25,000 for bodily injury liability per person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury liability per accident
  • $25,000 for property damage liability per accident
To avoid paying out of pocket after an at-fault accident, you should consider getting higher liability limits, such as 50/100/50 or 100/300/100. Doing so will result in a slightly higher rate, but it will protect you in the long run from financial ruin and possible lawsuits.”
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 22, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store