What type of coverage is and isn't important on auto insurance policies?

My husband and I live in North Dakota and are buying our first car. We will be going with USAA and are planning on getting bodily injury limits of $100,000/$300,000 and a property damage limit of $100,000. Are there any other types of coverage that we should add or avoid?

“Most insurance carriers offer similar types of car insurance, but requirements vary from state to state.
The bodily injury liability and property damage liability coverages you selected are well above North Dakota’s liability limits, and you will still be required to add personal injury protection and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
If your vehicle is going to be financed, most lenders will also require that you carry collision coverage and comprehensive coverage.
Beyond this, anything else offered on your policy can be considered optional. You’ll need to decide what else is important to you on a policy. Speaking with an agent directly can help you decide what other coverage may be essential on your policy. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 30, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies