What type of car insurance do I need to cover damage I may cause?

What type of insurance covers damages I may cause? I just started driving and I'm worried about getting into an accident.

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 08, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“In every state there is a state minimum of car insurance requirement. This typically includes coverage that will protect other drivers on the road from you.
This type of insurance is called liability car insurance. Liability insurance is made up of two parts:
Both cover another party when you’re at fault in an accident.
Bodily injury covers other drivers’ injuries. Property damage covers any damage to their vehicle or property.
If you’re nervous about causing an accident, try to carry the highest amount of coverage you can afford. While no one wants to get into an accident, it’s better to be prepared and protected. Having higher liability limits will cover damage you cause without having to pay out of pocket.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies