What type of car insurance do I need in California if I no longer drive, but I have a friend take me to the doctor's office?

My eyesight has continued to decline, and while I have a driver's license, I no longer drive. However, I want to keep my car to get to appointments and I let my friend drive. What type of policy do I need if I live in California?

“For your needs, you probably only need liability coverage. However, you might not want to get the bare-minimum coverage in California, as this probably won’t provide enough protection in most accidents where you (or your friend) is at fault.
But for the sake of saving money while still having adequate coverage, you may want to take out a liability policy with limits of 100/300/100 or 50/100/50. Just make sure to shop for car insurance quotes online to get the most value for your money.”
Eric Schad
Answered on May 04, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies