What type of car insurance do I need for my rental car when I'm traveling in California?

I will be flying into California and renting a car for the next three weeks. My credit card company says it pays for "CDW," but what other coverage do I need? I don't' have US car insurance, so I want to make sure that I am adequately covered.

“Great question! CDW stands for “”collision damage waiver.”” This means your credit card company will provide the collision coverage part of the rental insurance.
The other type of insurance coverage you will need is called liability coverage. Suppose you are found at fault in an accident. In that case, liability coverage will pay out for the other driver’s medical expenses and property damage.
Liability insurance is part of the rental car insurance available for purchase from the rental car agency. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 12, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free