What steps do I need to take if I was hit by a drunk driver?

"What should I do if the drunk driver was found to be at-fault but I don't know if they have car insurance? I'm currently without a car due to damages."

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 19, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“The first thing you’ll want to do is call your car insurance company.
If you have medical payment coverage or rental reimbursement coverage, you may be able to get help with any medical bills and a rental car immediately.
If you have collision insurance, you may also be able to get your car repaired without waiting for verification of the other driver’s insurance.
While you’ll have to pay your deductible, your insurance company will likely try to collect costs, including your deductible, from the driver or their insurance once it’s verified.
If you aren’t able to get coverage from your own insurance, you may need to reach out to a lawyer. They’ll be able to provide you with guidance on how to proceed. You may need to sue the other driver for damages.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies