What should you do if your uncle totals your truck?

I let my uncle borrow my truck to go camping and he totaled it. The driver of the other car was taken to the hospital in an ambulance. My uncle won’t tell me what happened, but the police impounded my truck. I think he must have been at fault. What do I need to do?

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 29, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.
“First, call your insurance company. If you can’t get a copy of the police report, ask your insurance company to get it.
And call the police to find out how to get your truck released. Towing and storage are expensive and usually charged by the day. If you have collision coverage, it may help pay for the tow.
The claim also needs to be reported to your uncle’s car insurance company (if he has one). It will also be reported to the other driver’s insurance company.
Your insurance claims adjuster will investigate the claim to determine liability (fault) and confirm coverage (what coverage on your policy will be applicable in this claim). Your insurance company will let you know all of this throughout the claims process.
You can ask your claims adjuster what your liability coverage limits are if you don’t know them already. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies