What should my next steps be after a major accident while on a delivery in my personal vehicle?

I make deliveries in my personal vehicle for a local pharmacy. I dozed off when I was driving and hit four cars that were stopped at a red light in front of me. I only have state-minimum coverage. Do I report this to my insurance or the pharmacy’s insurance?

“I am sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope that everyone involved is well.
You should contact your insurance company first. Since the vehicle was being used for business, be prepared to answer some questions about the usage of the car.
They may ultimately deny liability insurance coverage for the other parties’ damages under your personal policy, but the accident should still be reported so that they can confirm if there is coverage under your policy for the claim.
You should also report the accident to your employer. They should report it to their insurance company and provide you with the claim information.
The companies that insure the other vehicles involved in the claim will also be contacting your insurance company and your employer’s insurance company. Your insurance company should keep you informed throughout the claims process.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on Apr 26, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies