What should my boyfriend do after being hit by a drunk driver and being saddled with $100,000 in medical bills?

"My boyfriend was hit by a drunk driver and their insurance is refusing to pay anymore. He still has $100,000 in medical bills and is being referred to debt collectors now.

Should he file for bankruptcy? Does he have any other options? "

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 19, 2021
“When an at-fault driver’s insurance is refusing to pay anymore, it’s most likely because their bodily injury liability coverage limit has been exhausted. Once this limit is exhausted, insurance companies will not pay anymore, regardless of how much damage is left.
If your boyfriend has underinsured motorist coverage, he should be able to submit a claim to his own insurance to cover some of the remaining medical expenses.
Should he not have underinsured motorist coverage, he can try to negotiate with his health insurance company. Oftentimes, health insurance companies work directly with hospitals, so they may be able to settle a lower out-of-pocket cost for him.
If the out-of-pocket expense is still too high, he may need to pursue legal action against the other driver to recover any remaining costs. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies