What should I do if the dealer swapped my down payment and financed amount?

What should I do to amend a mistake the dealer made on my loan? I purchased a car for $8,000 with $4,500 down and $3,500 financing. When I looked at my loan a few days later, these numbers were flipped, showing that I financed $4,500.

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on Jul 15, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“Get on the phone with your lender right now (whether it’s the dealer or another lender). In most cases, this is simply a clerical error that can be changed quickly.
If the lender fights you on it, you’re going to need a receipt or the canceled check of your down payment. This is proof that what you say is true and that the loan information needs to be changed.
With this evidence, you likely won’t have any more issues. If you do, contact an attorney.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies