What should I do if my car is involved in a hit and run?

"My car was borrowed without my permission and was involved in a hit and run. The person driving claims that they were hit in a parking lot and the driver left the scene. They didn't get any information.

Will my insurance cover this? What should I do?"

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jun 18, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“If someone borrowed your vehicle without your permission, your car insurance normally will not cover the damage. While car insurance follows the vehicle, it often requires permissive use for coverage.
If you have comprehensive insurance, this does cover theft. However, you’d need to submit a police report and likely file charges.
If the person who was driving the vehicle has car insurance, you may be able to file a claim with them for the damage. You could also find out where they were parked and if there is video footage.
Should none of these options apply to you, you’ll have to pay for the damage to your vehicle out of pocket. You could also try reaching out to your insurance company directly to find out if there would be any coverage.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies