What should I do if I'm in an auto accident and I'm in the country on a visa?

"I am on a work visa and was in a bad car accident. I wasn't at fault and the other driver died in the accident.

I only had $10,000 in medical payment coverage and the other driver's insurance had $20,000. My medical bills are well over $100,000. Can I file for bankruptcy if I'm not a US citizen? "

“The other driver’s insurance company should be covering your medical bills with both bodily injury liability and medical payment coverage.
If your medical bills are above the limits for both of those coverages, you should see whether you have underinsured motorist coverage on your policy. If you do, this will help cover the cost of your medical bills.
Any health insurance you may have should also provide coverage. You can reach out to the hospital’s billing department to let them know you are on a visa. They may be able to make arrangements for you based on your status.
You should also inform your employer of the situation. They may have resources available to you.
Even if you aren’t a US citizen, you have rights if you were hurt in an accident and you can file for bankruptcy if absolutely necessary. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 21, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.