What should I do if I'm an out-of-state driver and I'm in an accident in a no-fault state like Michigan?

I'm from Ohio and traveled to Michigan. Another driver hit me and is at fault. I filed a third-party claim with their insurance company, but they told me they were liable for no medical bills and only $1,000 for property damage. What now?

“Nearly all car insurance policies from the major companies will cover your medical bills with personal injury protection (PIP), which is a requirement in no-fault states. Your out-of-state policy should provide you with the minimum PIP coverage required in Michigan.
Your property damage is another matter. You can take the $1,000 and pay the rest out of pocket, or you can hire an attorney and sue the other driver for the rest.
Your car insurance provider should be helping you in this case because of the confusing differences between no-fault and tort (at-fault) laws in each state.
Call your agent to ask what you should do. They’ll be more than willing to help you if it can offset some of their costs.”
Eric Schad
Answered on May 04, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies