What should I do if I hit another driver but they fled the scene?

"I was involved in an accident where I hit another driver, but they either didn't notice or chose to leave. I filed a police report. Should I let my insurance company know? I plan to pay for the damage to my car on my own."

Answer provided by
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.
“If you filed the police report, you should notify your car insurance company as well.
If you have collision car insurance, you can use that (minus your deductible) to cover the cost of repairs or you can pay out of pocket. Either way, you can probably expect your premiums to rise as a result of the accident.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies