What should I do if another driver's insurance is denying a claim and I don't have uninsured motorist?

I got into an accident and the other driver's insurance told me that they weren't covered. I thought I had uninsured motorist coverage, but it's only bodily injury and not property damage. Can I file a claim through my collision coverage? Will I need to pay my deductible and will this impact my rate?

“If you have collision coverage, you can file a claim with your own insurance company. You will be required to pay your deductible, but you could be reimbursed if your insurance is able to recover any costs from the other driver.
You should file a police report, if you haven’t already, and provide your insurance company with the other driver’s information.
Claims and accidents are two factors that insurance companies look at when rating policies. Since the accident is at fault, it most likely won’t impact your rate as significantly as an at-fault accident would.
How accidents and claims are rated depend on the carrier. You can reach out to the carrier to see how submitting a collision claim will increase your rate at renewal. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.