What if I total my car and my insurance is liability-only? "

My husband hydroplaned into a concrete barrier with my 2017 Ford Fiesta. Husband is fine, Fiesta is totaled. We only have liability on the policy. I called the insurance company and I know they won't pay for the Fiesta. What do we do next?

Shannon Martin · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“Since you didn’t have
collision coverage
on the policy, the insurance company cannot pay for the damage to your vehicle.
However, they will pay for any damages that might have been caused to other property in the accident. This would be paid under your
property damage liability
If the vehicle was towed from the scene of the accident to a body shop or a tow-and-salvage yard, it is important to contact the shop or yard as soon as possible to prevent the additional accrual of storage fees.
Some tow companies will accept the vehicle as payment. You will need to bring them the title to transfer ownership and remove the license plates and any personal effects from the vehicle.
If the vehicle was towed to your residence, you can sell the vehicle to a salvage yard to help offset the cost of the towing.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings