What is the best off-road Toyota?
I’m going to make some changes in the new year and I want to go off-roading more. I generally like Toyota. What’s the best Toyota to take off-road?
Kathryn Mae Kurlychek · Answered on Dec 22, 2022
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
The best off-road Toyotas tend to come in the TRD trims—an upper-level option packed with features that give it an extra edge on and off the beaten path. Here is a breakdown of the best off-road Toyota TRD trims:
- The 2022 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off-Road. The 4Runner already comes standard with off-road-ready features like 17-inch alloy wheels and underbody skid plates—but TRD trims add special driving modes and a locking rear differential to maximize traction on tough road surfaces. In the ultimate TRD Pro trim, you’ll also get a specially-tuned suspension, roof rack, and all-terrain tires.
- The 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road. This mid-size pick-up gets an off-road makeover in its TRD trims, with features like a unique chrome bumper, lockable rear differential, shock absorbers, and multiple drive modes. The top-tier TRD Pro adds front skid plates, better breakover, approach, and departure angles, and an off-road camera system.
- The 2022 Toyota Rav4 TRD Off-Road. The RAV4 is already a worthy off-road vehicle in its own right; but upgrading to this specific trim level adds bonus features like a specially-tuned suspension and 18-inch all-terrain tires.
- The 2022 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro. This massive SUV is available with skid plates, fox shocks, fog lights, and 18-inch alloy wheels—not to mention an optional power lift tailgate.
- The 2022 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro. Toyota’s top truck takes you for the joyride of a lifetime with 33-inch all-terrain tires, skid plates and suspension dampers, a lockable rear differential, and multiple drive modes to increase off-road traction.
Toyota’s lineup of mid-size and full-size SUVs and trucks aren’t the only ones to come with off-road-ready TRD trim levels. The fuel-saving Camry and plucky Avalon also feature their own versions of the TRD trim.
MORE: Toyota AWD cars
View full answer
WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Browse More Content
Insurance in Your State
What Others Are Asking
What are the best cars for people with back pain?
"I’ve got chronic back pain due to injuries from an old car accident. It can make driving unbearable at times. Are there any cars out there that are known to be back-friendly? "
Apr 14, 2021
Does the 2013 Cadillac ATS rear differential have a lot of problems?
I’ve been having all kinds of problems with my rear differential. So, I was wondering, is the 2013 Cadillac ATS rear differential known to have a lot of problems? Or is it just me?
Apr 28, 2022
What are the best snow cables for a Subaru Outback?
My husband mentioned wanting snow cables for his car, so I thought it would be the perfect Christmas gift to get him some. The only problem is, I know nothing about snow cables! What are the best ones for a Subaru Outback?
Kathryn Mae Kurlychek
Dec 22, 2022
Read Advice From Car Experts At Jerry
How to Upgrade Your Volvo Sound System
Upgrading your Volvo sound system can dramatically improve your driving experience.
Would You Spend $85,000 on a Luxury GMC Pickup Truck?
For 2022, GMC add the Ultimate trim to its line of Sierra trucks. But does the luxury pickup live up to its high price?
Browse By Topics
Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free
No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies