What is considered an unoccupied house for insurance purposes?

I just bought a new house, but I plan on taking time to remodel the house before I move in. I plan on going there frequently, but I'm worried my insurance company will consider it unoccupied, which would void my coverage.

“For this situation, your best bet may be to purchase a vacant/unoccupied home insurance policy until you’re ready to move in.
This is a common type of policy for people renovating their homes or leaving for any period of time. While it can cost anywhere one-and-a-half to three times more than regular home insurance, it’ll be worth it to know that your new home will have protection.
Rates for unoccupied homes are higher because they pose a higher risk to insurance companies. Vacant homes are more prone to theft, and should a fire or other emergency happen, it takes longer to identify and prevent that issue from spreading.
While the proper coverage can be expensive, it doesn’t have to break the bank. Compare rates with multiple companies to help you find the best deals. Try using the free Jerry app to help you pull quotes from the top 50 providers. Jerry will deliver the best deals to your phone in minutes and will even help fill out all the starting paperwork.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 18, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.